Thursday, September 27, 2012

First Post - and First Project!

Hey everyone! First post for this blog, and also my first blog ever!

So to get down to business I started my first project yesterday. I actually was drawing up the plans in one of my classes on Tuesday, but only got the time from my busy college schedule to start it yesterday.


That right there is what I have 3D modeled so far. Now I use Sketchup 8, so its relatively easy to model in, but poor for those who actually want to produce real things. So I don't think this model will ever hit real production unless i can some how convert an exported file to something a CNC can support or something similar.

Some of you might recognize the model I'm designing (by the way this is all done on my own, by referencing images) What inspired me to do this, was I was mucking around on some Airsoft retailer's YouTube channels, and I came across a video showing the internals of a spring airsoft rifle. It got me thinking how I would design my own mechanism, and this project is the result of my inspiration.

Now you cant see it in the image I provided, but I DO have some of the internals started on this rifle, such as the spring guide, and piston head. (if those are the right mechanical terms, that's just what i call them) So after that I still need to design the trigger assembly and a safety mechanism. Also for internals I need to study a spring fed airsoft BB mag, because this beast wont hold any standard M4, but its own, fully custom magazine.

I don't think I'll design a scope because I have no clue on magnification, or scope design, plus this rifle has such  a unique scope, I doubt it can actually be built with today's tech. So I just threw a picatinny rail on top for standard scope mounts.

Also the basic externals are done, aside from the flash hider, bipod legs, and carrying handle.


I hope to keep this blog updated with my progress, and I will also show breakdowns of my internal systems for criticism and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment